Book Wench on Facebook

Sunday, July 5, 2009

MINION


author: L.A. BANKS

This book has been with me for almost a year now and I just read it coz I don't have any more books to read and I've been cutting back with my expenses. *sigh* Anyway, I have been eying this vampire series ever since i'v seen it beside LKHamilton's Anita Blake Series in the book shielves of my favorate bookstore which is BESTSELLERS - Robinsons Galeria (They have friendly staffs there compared to other bookstores). Usually the cover of the book will be the reason why I pick the book up and then the over view written at the back will determine if the book is worth a read, worth the money or its just plain crap. This series has been around before twilight is, and I have to say Bank's vampires are unique and it won't make Stoker roll in his grave laughing or cry in his grave... ROFL, well I think you know what I mean.^_^

So, enter Damali.. Vampire huntress... known as the Neteru. A Neteru is only born once in a millienia. He or she is the champion of heaven to battle the forces of evil/darkness. Marlene, here adapted mother took care of her and trained her when the time comes when she will be a fully grown Neteru. Banks, vampires as I mentioned is unique, he made them the generals of the dark lord which si lucifer and placed them on the last canto of hell (according to dante's hell). They are the most highest ranking creatures in hell and they are not a pretty vampire like lestat or Jean-claude when they transform into their real figure. They are demon like or something. Like Stoker's Dracula crossed to the nesferato. However, even if this falls to the "OMG! not another vampire novel series." I still like this coz Banks created a whole new breed and vampire politics and life style. Like incorporating vampire concepts with gangwars, mafias, triAds, yakuzas and the like. And they are not all that bad, they actually work to balance between light and darkness (banks doesnt use the term good vrs. evil).

But i only have one complain in the book and its not related to the story line. Its the way Banks wright the book. As an african american writer living in an african american community she uses slang words that is popular with the african american culture. Not all people could understand those slangs. When I was reading the book its like i'm watching a movie created by people from the bronks or the hood. And to be honest it annoys me. Really, coz its hard to analize her story line and then struggle to understand the words. And I think that's the reason why her book doesn't get to be #1 NYtimes bestseller because of that. Almost all vampire series gets to be number one one time or the other but with this series I think that's the series.

After reading this book which is the first book of Bank's Vamp Huntress series which is now running 12books in all and another book in the works which is supposbly the last of its series and a comic adaptation by Debel brothers under Marvel same with Anita Blake series. I categories her book as a good read. Nice new concept with vampires that still stay within vampire norm. But i'll stick in buying 2nd hand books with this series. I don't see it yet that its worth my money to spend on its new ones.

note: damali's comic adaptation kinda look like Anita with bronze skin.. lol well it makes sense since its Brett Booth who is doing the art work and every AVH series fans know that it was BB who first drew the Anita comic under debel brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment