Book Wench on Facebook

Friday, August 28, 2009

Mona Lisa Blossoming


It always intrigue me if the book is being compared to the works of my favorite author Laurell K Hamilton. Publisher weekly has dubbed it as fans of LKH will love Sunny's Monere series. That was enough reason for me to buy the book. And it has been sitting in my closet for almost a year before I decided to read it with reasons that I have already read all the Jim Butchers and all the LKH's books that I have and I was forced to look into the books that I have brought on a sale and choose which one to read coz I don't have the money these days to buy a new book.

Anyway, The Monere... according to the book are the children of the moon which is the basis of the legends about vampires and werewolves/wereanimals. But there political/society structure is more like the bees. The Monas "thus explains the name of the main character Mona Lisa" are the queens of their race/species. In every territory there comes a queen which rules and its rare for men in there species rule a territory. In the beginning of the book, upon knowing the Monere origin, what brought to mind is the story of Sailormoon. (you know the anime: "Moon crystal power... MAKE UP!" LOL) But going deeper into the novel i started to understand and accept why most book reviewers and authors like publisher weekly has compared it to LKH. Sunny's Monere series has a touch of Anita Blake and Merrideth Gentry. Instead of vampires there are the Demon Dead. Instead of the Ravens of the unseelie queen theres the warlords.

The story is more about politics, the struggle of the monere monarchs. This is another series that is set in new orleans. This is the 2nd book of the monere series of Sunny. Too bad I couldn't find the first book tittled Mona lisa Awakening. So i hope this Manila book fair this sept i will find the the first book of this series. I really love it when i find another gold amongs a thousand of copper.

No comments:

Post a Comment